Friday, October 31, 2014

Success and final Upgrade

The motherboard installation was a success. The best part was not having to reinstall Windows 7. I simply had to make a few adjustments in the ASUS UEFI and then the machine just booted to the desktop. Sure I had to verify my copy of Windows, but that was hardly an inconvenience. I also had to make some minor tweaks in the Task Scheduler, but overall it was a delightful experience.

A few weeks after that change, I implemented two other upgrades to complete my ideal machine.

I replaced my Acer 24" LED HD monitor with an ASUS VG248QE to rid myself of screen tearing.

Cool TARDIS destop background

Then I added a Cooler Master Seidon 240M CPU liquid cooler because I was unhappy with the stock Intel cooler that came with the i5-4690k. Also, I found tower heatsinks to be ugly, heavy, and a little impractical (for my Thermaltake case, that is).


I replaced the stock Cooler Master fans with Noctua NF-P12 PWM fans. Yes, they're ugly, but they are eerily silent, even at full speed.

So now my machine is pretty much my ideal machine. I do have to change the front intake fan and rear exhaust fan, but the current configuration has put a big smile on my face.

My next project is to put together a PC for my girlfriend. I am using parts from my previous build and parts that I ordered from NCIX and Canada Direct. 


I can't wait to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.